Author Topic: Does anyone sail there boats at night?  (Read 160 times)

Wooter

• Vibes: 1
Does anyone sail there boats at night?
« on: March 24, 2018, 12:43:56 AM »
I havenít had my boat out at night but Iím sure I want to push the limits at some point. The thought of being out after the sun has gone down to see the lights of the city reflecting off the ocean is appealing to me. Iím currently scouring the web for low energy navigation lighting. I was wondering if any of you WR17 people are into the night time thing. Sure the winds drop off, etc but what the heck?

donkleinschmidt

• Vibes: 0
Re: Does anyone sail there boats at night?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 09:53:16 AM »
I have sailed at night and simply used a cheap clamp on navigation light. It is fun. But you have to be on your toes in knowing exactly where you are and be aware of speeding boats. A good strong flashlight is also needed to see shore line, markers, etc. And to alert those speeding boats of your presents.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shoreline-Marine-Clamp-On-Bow-Light/16606432?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227000827952&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40969061072&wl4=pla-78911099192&wl5=9016852&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=16606432&wl13=&veh=sem

SouthernWin

• Vibes: 8
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 09:24:36 PM »
I sail at night.  Cant see much at times but I have area familiarity.  Also I use isailor app on my iPhone.

I use clamp on lights.   Spotlight when needed. I'll shine it on my sail if another boat is near to make sure they see me.  Night sailing is ok until it starts squalling.   I'll drop anchor if it gets bad enough..lucky so far.   I have all the safety gear, vhf, flares etc.

Also I use the life360 app..so relatives can track me.    I have gps..but the area I'm in is fairly free of traffic and obstacles
so the isailor app has been fine, along with compass.

I was USCG coxswain so I'm comfy at night.   Area familiarity will help you out the most i think.   Learn to spot and identify the lights in front of you.
I avoid channels and traffic if can.

Easy to get confused sometimes....use your equipment to navigate.  Use your senses to be aware of whats around you.  Relax.  Avoid looking at bright lights...takes 20 minutes to gain night eyes.  Generally imo night sailing is ok.  Day is much better.  I'm usually late coming home and get stuck out there sailing after dark...

rceballos

• 2014 WR17 "Stand by me"
  • Vibes: 8
  • SAILON
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 08:51:25 AM »
SouthernWin:    My night sailing is watching you on 360......
Dad.
Richard
USCG Master Chief Ret.   Scottsmoor, Fl.

justanothersailor

• Vibes: 0
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 06:02:28 PM »
Here is a great power option for you.

https://www.southernaudioservices.com/yak-power.aspx?FSIntent=true

Night sailing is the best! Do not be concerned as long as you sail in a safe area.... away from high speed power boating channels. Se my account of sailing the Everglades Challenge it's on the forum. Good luck!