Author Topic: Replacing shroud eyebolts with tangs.  (Read 161 times)

Andy, Seattle

• Vibes: 4
  • Mmmm.... Coffee
Replacing shroud eyebolts with tangs.
« on: January 25, 2018, 06:49:40 PM »
I have a 2008 model and one of the eyebolts is bent, so I purchased tangs to replace the lot.

Two installation questions:
1.  The backing plate is threaded, correct?  I mean that there is not a nut inside the ama that is going to fall off when I remove the eyebolt?
2.  On the website they recommend sealing the bolt, but do not recommend a sealant.  Any suggestions?

Any other advice is welcome.

Cheers.

Wood Duck

• Vibes: 0
Re: Replacing shroud eyebolts with tangs.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 05:55:21 PM »
Andy,  you're correct that there is a threaded plate inside the ama.  In the Instruction Manual when describing initial assembly after receiving your boat in a crate it talks about removing all bolts from the top of each plate, putting a bead of clear silicone caulk around each hole and then mounting the amas to the aka beams with the bolts.

What it doesn't mention in the Manual, or anywhere else that I could find, is what torque to put on the bolts.  When I bought mine used last summer one of the bolts holding a shroud tang was about half way out.  I tightened it up and found a number of others somewhat loose.  Not being able to find a torque value I brought them up to "snug".  So far so good.

Dave

snorring

• Vibes: 8
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 11:11:17 AM »
I too have replaced backing plates because the threads holding the bolts were stripped out.  I had to drill out the bolt.  I held the new plate in place by feeding a piece of string through the hole in the Ama, ran the string through the plate and tied a Knot on the underside of the plate.  PUlled the string through the AMA hole and put tension on the plate while securing the plate in place with other hole.  Then cut the line and secured the plate with the Tang bolt.   

Andy, Seattle

• Vibes: 4
  • Mmmm.... Coffee
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 11:17:19 PM »
Helpful advice, thanks, all!