Author Topic: Oops! Damaged winch post/mast crutch (user error, of course!)  (Read 162 times)

BruceWoods

• Vibes: 3
Oops! Damaged winch post/mast crutch (user error, of course!)
« on: December 20, 2017, 09:29:37 AM »
So, carrying on my tradition, most damage to my stuff comes from my letting someone help me when I don't need it.

Yesterday, after a fine sail, my friend was on the dock with the line, and I was down by front of trailer getting the line loose so I could winch the boat on to the trailer.

He jumped down and waded in to hook it up for me and winch the boat on.

I went to drive out, and, dang! the winch post bent! The hook broke! WTF?

Yeah, I stopped and backed up a bit.

Well, friends, have you found the flaw?

Sure enough, when he jumped down, unseen by me, and forgotten by him, he had cleated the dock line!

Har har!

So, anyway, we undid that, and Vee-ola! with a tied winch line, and no drag, we got the boat on the trailer and up the ramp.

The post was slanted toward the boat, so we had to re-set the winch bars to let the boat get further on the trailer so I could put the rear mast crutch in.

Taking a look at what caused the slant, the front of the welded on plate has a crack and a bow in it.

Oh, this is a 2004 galvanized Long trailer, which has, haha, long been out of production.

Dilemma: shall I try to brace the bottom with a plate? Probably not.

Should I get a new post? Where? Uncle Google may help.

Should I take this thing off, and see if welding, or something would help? Dunno.

I seem to recall that the OP made the crutch shorter; I may like it back to what it was, if I get a new one and think it is strong enough, since I use the post height to winch the mast up.

Far be it from me to insinuate any of yawl would screw up the same way, but hey, maybe someone has needed to replace the post?

Any relevant experiences to share, to spare me more heartache?

So, anyway, I will be trying to investigate my options.

Bruce
Raleigh, NC WR 17
New Bern, NC Com-pac 23

BruceWoods

Re: Oops! Damaged winch post/mast crutch (user error, of course!)
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 03:23:21 PM »
So, nobody has had my friend Tom aboard? haha

Anyway, I am hunting down some replacements and may try someone to weld a new plate on the bottom of my current post.

Bruce
Raleigh, NC WR 17
New Bern, NC Com-pac 23

dlj

• Vibes: -1
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 10:50:34 PM »
If you can post a picture of the post and plate, I could see if there is any advice I might think of. Just from the description, it's kind of hard to know...

dj

tpdavis

• Vibes: 8
  • Navy Nuke-~8K sailing miles under the keel
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 12:56:18 AM »
Darn, you were really lucky you didn't pull the eye through the bow, lucky the winch hook broke; lucky the aka didn't bend (assuming the dock line was hooked on the aka).  So it could have been a lot worse.

There probably is a trailer repair shop close (there is one local to me).  They have access to a lot of the parts and have welders.  Usually it is not that expensive.  If you insist on DIY, try etrailer and look for galvanized vertical brackets.
R/Thom
SeaRail 19
Former F24 MK II Single Hand Racer
Former Triak Sailing Kayak
Former Hobie Getaway
Former Weta Crew
Former Windrider 17 Crew

BruceWoods

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 06:01:21 PM »
Found a welder to pound the plate flat & weld the little brace. Turns out the plate itself & the main weld to the post were fine.

I really do need to put some pictures in the gallery when I post something like this.

No trailer shops around here that I have found in the 30 yesrs Iíve looked.

Raleigh, NC WR 17
New Bern, NC Com-pac 23