Author Topic: Foil Repair  (Read 145 times)

ixd704

• Vibes: 0
Foil Repair
« on: October 05, 2017, 07:37:29 AM »
Hi folks,

I am a new Rave owner.  I bought a Rave with a missing starboard foil (torn off by a rock).  I have a few questions:
Has anyone fixed one of these? 
Is there a source for the extrusion? 
Has anyone replaced all of the foils and daggers with carbon ones (I am thinking this might be the easiest solution)?
Has anyone made different sets of foils for different wind conditions (light winds higher lift, but lower top speed)?

Thanks,
Ian

Erwin / Hydrosail

• Vibes: 18
    • http://www.hydrosails.com
Re: Foil Repair
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 01:19:47 AM »
We stock many original Rave parts in Europe, including new and used foils. If you can't source the foil in the US, let me know and I will check cost of shipping one from Europe to the US. A slightly bend foil can be straightened, but there is no way to repair a broken foil. Even if you manage to get a solid weld (hard to do on this type of aluminum), then the weld will prevent the foil to slide up and down the foil box.

ixd704

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 07:03:15 PM »
So far no luck.  I am tempted to make a carbon one, but if I can get a used one, that would work too.   What would my all in cost be to get it to Gatineau, Quebec, Canada?

Ian

Erwin / Hydrosail

• Vibes: 18
    • http://www.hydrosails.com
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 07:39:20 AM »
A used foil will cost CAD 800, so that's not too bad. But due to its size the cost of shipping will be about the same. Then upon import you need to pay GST and QST ovr the cost of the goods and shipping.

ixd704

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 10:39:45 AM »
Shoot me a total and a PayPal invoice to idouglas@teksavvy.com and I will send the money (or your favourite method of payment). 
Do you have a photo of the foil?  A couple of close ups of the foil area, dagger, weldment, and hinge / flap and overall so I can see what I am buying would be wonderful (send to same email address please) :-)

ixd704

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 05:10:46 PM »
So I have a foil from Hydrosail, thanks Erwin :-) 
Does anyone have the wing tip winglet specification / shape for the aluminium 3/16" plate that I see on some of the boats?  Hand drawn or a CAD file is good.  If someone has them if I just have the offset from the foil they could measure, that would be good too.