Author Topic: Kentucky Lake trip summary  (Read 94 times)

BruceWoods

• Vibes: 3
Kentucky Lake trip summary
« on: October 03, 2017, 10:56:20 AM »
Hi, folks,

I took my WR from Raleigh to Kentucky Lake for a few days and here is a short version, with more details once I organize my notes:

a. Long day drive to a federal camp called Piney Campground in Land Between the Lakes
b. Several daysails on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. The new steering line worked great (I ran it up to blocks on front aka and around, like Rickey posted about, and like I had seen on H.B.'s boat. The lake has already started the fall draw down, so there is a ring of mud, which adversely affected pulling up at campground. I left the boat further out and waded, then switched to curtesy dock for last day and got away with it.
c. Pulled the boat, took the rudder off, drove to MO to just have a land-based few days checking on my mom.
d. Friday morning, went to the damn side of Kentucky Lake, stayed at Hillman Ferry Campground. Got a site where there was sand at the shore, made pulling near campsite much more feasible. The downside was this site was very remote from the bathhouse, haha.
e. I went up to East Turtle Bay Yacht club and found out about a regatta next day, was invited to join on another guy's 36-foot boat. Decided to use this as a guided tour of the Lake. Found that Canal Campground would be a better camp than Hillman Ferry for certain purposes.
f. Left Saturday afternoon and made it to Edgar Evins camp between Nashville and Knoxville. Did primitive camp just to get through the night, sleeping in the Explorer.
g. Easier drive home on Sunday.

Conclusions: Ky Lake is a really great sailing area, would be a good rendezvous place. However, I will need to figure out the boat mooring places better as I do more trips. Plenty of lake even further south than I went. Would like to connect the dots between Piney and the dam.

So, my basic approach worked out and I weeded out some un-necessary equipment for next time. Working on storage solutions for inside the Explorer in case I want to sleep inside on occasion.

Well, that's it until I get my blog updated, and then I will post a link for pictures and more details as a reply to this.

Bruce
Modify message
Raleigh, NC WR 17
New Bern, NC Com-pac 23

BruceWoods

Re: Kentucky Lake trip summary
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 04:37:43 PM »
https://nomadsailcamp.wordpress.com/2017/10/09/kentucky-lake-adventure/

The above link will show some pictures of my trip. Still seems to need a little editing; I will try to get around to that.

Bruce
Raleigh, NC WR 17
New Bern, NC Com-pac 23

lt4supr

• Capt.Rob
  • Vibes: 15
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 06:58:13 PM »
Thanks Bruce looks like fun.
WR 17  #305.
Sr class chairman

rceballos

• 2014 WR17 "Stand by me"
  • Vibes: 7
  • SAILON
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 08:49:21 AM »
Nice sailing....I was hoping to see you in the photos
Richard
USCG Master Chief Ret.   Scottsmoor, Fl.

BruceWoods

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 09:46:51 AM »
I really need to show more; figure out my camera better, have a stick & tripod arrangement.

Maybe next time!
Raleigh, NC WR 17
New Bern, NC Com-pac 23