Author Topic: Suzuki 2.5 4-cycle outboard leaking oil  (Read 154 times)

Andy, Seattle

• Vibes: 4
  • Mmmm.... Coffee
Suzuki 2.5 4-cycle outboard leaking oil
« on: July 16, 2017, 01:27:21 PM »
Colleagues:

I recently finished a 4 day sailing/camping adventure on the Puget Sound.  At night, I'd keep the motor tipped up and out of the water horizontally and in the mornings noticed there would be a little motor oil on the choke pull and a little dripping down the adjacent cowling.  On one occasion, the engine started up a little "smoky" as if some was getting into the cylinder. I do not believe I overfilled the oil chamber.

Is this anything to be concerned about?

Andy

lt4supr

• Capt.Rob
  • Vibes: 15
Re: Suzuki 2.5 4-cycle outboard leaking oil
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 02:25:08 PM »
Andy.
I have only used mine for about 10 minutes as I remembered  that when I tilted it up it would not pivot left or right,do I remember that correct.?

Roby
WR 17  #305.
Sr class chairman

demens

• Vibes: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 05:38:27 PM »
The manual does say that when transporting to lay it on its side on the tiller, I'm assuming that's to raise the cylinder above the "sump" enough that the oil won't drain up.
I've had the motor tilted up on the boat, multiple times, for numbers of hours, and have never seen any oil escaping anywhere. Assume you've checked the oil filler cap is on tight ?
Have had a couple of instances where there was a slight amount of smoke on start up, and presumed that was me not being careful enough stowing it for transport, ie tipping it too much. These were all on the outward bound part of the trip, have never had it smoke coming back in again.
Colin

Colin, St Pete, Fl

bobvanv

• Vibes: 2
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 02:56:53 PM »
Mine lives on the boat, tilted up, for six months of the year with no oil leaks and no smoke on start up, so this is unusual.   I keep the boat in the water in a marina in FL all winter long, so the motor is always tilted up when not in use.  Provided I did a good job of "summerizing" the engine, it always starts on the third pull in the fall when I put the boat back in the water.  I'm a very satisfied user.

Bob Van Valkenburgh
Bob Van Valkenburgh
2011 Windrider 17

lt4supr

• Capt.Rob
  • Vibes: 15
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 04:36:25 PM »
Bob
Does the motor tilt up straight or can it be turned
When tilted up.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 04:49:39 PM by lt4supr »