Author Topic: Regattas  (Read 271 times)

lt4supr

• Capt.Rob
  • Vibes: 15
Regattas
« on: May 13, 2017, 02:55:44 PM »
Regattas.
I recently met with Jim about are declining attendance at our regattas last monday.
The last two were pathetic.
Not long ago we where the largest fleet at some events.
As most know we don't have are own events,but piggyback thru invitation by other event's like the Buzzelli in Sarasota.

So we would like your input on your thoughts of what can be done or what you would like to see at events to get you to join or increase attendance  to them.

Seminars?
Racing clinics.?
New to sailing lessons.?
Rules of racing?
Cruising.?
Art of the start,the most intimidating part.

Since we are invited to these events we cannot control cost or the dates.

So please submit your thoughts to us on here or my e mail which is on my profile or text me if you know my number

Thanks all.
Have a safe summer of sailing

Roby
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 11:30:23 PM by lt4supr »
WR 17  #305.
Sr class chairman

Bart57266

• Vibes: 78
  • WindRider 17, Hobie 21, Hobie 16 sailor
Re: Regattas
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 11:53:41 PM »
Cost is a factor with me, especially if the whole family goes. For example, attending the Buzzelli can run close to $1000 for three hotel nights, meals out for everyone, gas, entry fee, etc. Going solo and tent camping would still be at least $300-400.

Scott and I went to Cedar Key last weekend and tent camped two nights. There was no entry fee, but there was $32 in launching fees, $54 in campground charges, gas, etc. It probably cost around $200 for the weekend.

Bottom line: Regattas and other events are really fun, but they also take real funds.

Bart57266

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 12:20:04 AM »
Here's another thought: Most WindRider owners I know are not that much into racing. Some have avoided the Buzzelli because they felt intimidated by the prospect of it.

I've also noticed there aren't many racers running out to buy WindRiders. We seem to be different breeds. I learned this a long time ago when asking a fellow beach cat owner if he and his wife ever just went out for an afternoon of pleasure sailing. His reply was simply "no."

So, maybe the average WindRider owner finds more joy in daysailing, sail camping, etc. than in racing.

Just thinking out loud, here...

Somebody else chime in and give us your thoughts.

BruceWoods

• Vibes: 3
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 07:48:36 AM »
For me, it's the days added on the front and back for travel to Florida.

I entered a club charity regatta last month and it was great fun. I learned a lot about my WR that day.

The only previous regatta I had been to was a Hospice charity regatta in West Virginia, about a half day's drive. This was with my Slipper 17, and I went two years. I am looking forward to taking the WR next time.

I am personally most attracted to the sail camping trips; again, I can do them around here in NC, but have not met up with other local-ish WR folks for this. I plan to publish in events section when I go to local lakes, etc, or take my WR to the sailing club.

I can sponsor a "regatta" or really a rendezvous at my club. Www.blackbeardsailingclub.com if you want to see about it. We have parking, launching, camping, clubhouse, etc, facilities and I had a group of Com-pacs here a couple of years back. We could enter as a fleet in one of the club races, or just blow that off and sail around on the Upper Broad Creek & Neuse River.

So, anyway, I have tried several times to come to the Charlotte and the Buzzelli regattas, but the amount of time and some family issues (estate stuff my wife needed my help with) have kept me from it.

I fully intend to keep trying.

Maybe I can do better with rounding up some usual suspects for meet-ups in NC; maybe it will just be me and my imaginary friends.

Bruce
Raleigh, NC WR 17
New Bern, NC Com-pac 23

lt4supr

• Capt.Rob
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 10:59:16 AM »
Thanks,for the thoughts.
Yes the time one takes off can be tuff even for me too.Its the intimidation factor that is an issue that hurts.Yes Bruce joining in a regatta teaches great sailing skills and knowing your boats ability and cruising skills also.40 % of last year's enterence did not compete but had a great time and we thank them.
In the countless regattas I have sailed in I learn something new every time.In a recent regatta I was in, one skipper told me after the regatta how fast they were going all day on the course,I casually  mention to them they were the slowest boat in the fleet.As shocked as they were,they asked how could that be!. I told them pretend it's a destination sail to the island that you want to explore,going fast didn't get you there.we all got to the island in 18 minutes,you arrived there in 41 minutes.a lesson learned lol
Years ago no one bought a sunfish to race either,and now it's one of the largest fleets in the world,go figure.
I do like the camping idea and after all a regatta doesn't have to be about racing really.
I would love to camp and sail a fresh water lake in north Carolina.
Keep pursuing that thought also Bruce.
Yes Bart your correct,maybe we can cruise and camp this fall at one of your islands you go to!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 02:34:18 PM by lt4supr »
WR 17  #305.
Sr class chairman

rceballos

• 2014 WR17 "Stand by me"
  • Vibes: 7
  • SAILON
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 02:25:29 PM »
I think a regatta is a good place to see and learn other sailor's ideas and improvements, whether you race or by-stand.  However you want to do it, all you need is time , money, and interest.  Sailing comes in all different fashions.  Once I worked on my boat for a year.....My wife asked me ,  "when are you going to go sailing"?    I said,   " I am Sailing".

Sail on.
Richard
USCG Master Chief Ret.   Scottsmoor, Fl.

lt4supr

• Capt.Rob
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 02:39:01 PM »
Indeed my friend,that's funny.
I had my biggest boat on the hard for like 6 months and wife every day asked the same question,when are we leaving for alaska,I said when I'm done with the project,by the way I hope to see you in sarasota this year rich.
WR 17  #305.
Sr class chairman

Bart57266

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 08:26:21 PM »
I agree, Richard. Once you're at a regatta, it's a great experience. I've learned quite a bit, made friends, and been very glad I attended.

corsairf28r

• Vibes: 0
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 11:57:23 AM »
Dunedin  FL. is a nice place ,it is where we go with our Windrider .we  launch from the Curlew /( By sail honeymoon ) causeway and there are spoil islands in st joseph sound to camp on at no cost . if it is to rough on the gulf we stay inside and sail on st joseph sound .depending on the wind you can go thru hurricane pass between honeymoon island and caledesi island north around three rookers or go south and cut through the Clearwater inlet about 3 to 4 hours sailing.tiki bar at sail honeymoon on the causeway.if you don't have a windrider. there are several to rent at sail honeymoon.

tpdavis

• Vibes: 8
  • Navy Nuke-~8K sailing miles under the keel
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 09:19:09 PM »
Just a thought.  One of the best attended regattas on the left coast was the Indian Summer Splash' inaugural regatta and there still seems to be a good attendance even though it isn't a "race" so much as a get together that moves locations.   The inaugural event started in San Diego Bay and "raced" out into the ocean around a mark and then back into Mission Bay.  Where we camped and had camaraderie on the beach...then "raced" back the next day.  The event now starts in LA and "races" to Catalina for a cruz in; then "races" back.  It is a popular type event.   Similar events that are well attended include a destination and camaraderie.   You might want to consider such a thing in your planning.
R/Thom
SeaRail 19
Former F24 MK II Single Hand Racer
Former Triak Sailing Kayak
Former Hobie Getaway
Former Weta Crew
Former Windrider 17 Crew