Author Topic: Anchors, storage, deployment, etc  (Read 124 times)

BruceWoods

• Vibes: 3
Anchors, storage, deployment, etc
« on: April 13, 2017, 08:56:46 AM »
Hi, folks,

I have been reading the forum, and found most comments about anchors were from a few years back, so here goes:

My plans include to do an overnighter or two this spring, and I may need to anchor. Besides, a boat should have an anchor just in case.

My WR 17 came with a painted Greenfield slip ring anchor. I don't trust it for major anchoring in the Neuse, Kerr Lake, anywhere else. I figure it is a lunch hook, throw on shore hook, secondary anchor.

My other boat has a Bruce type for primary, chain, rode, etc. I have a good Danforth type with chain and rode for secondary. The Bruce is in an anchor roller on the bow.  I may have hangers for the other one, but for now it is just in a heavy duffelback stored below.

So, yesterday I bought a galvanized danforth type that does have a slip ring. Maybe I should take it back for the more standard one.

Anyway, I don't want a put-together anchor, I want a stored anchor ready to deploy, and would build a tray on deck for it, or add an anchor roller to bow, or whatever. I saw the anchormate, wondered if that would be cool.

So, what are yawl using that you like? Did anyone switch to Bruce claw like planned? What containers are you using? I saw a way to put an anchor on the bleacher seat, not sure I can put that spool on mine due to space.

Anyway, I hope you folks will contribute comments, etc, on what you are doing now, and how you like it. I can see my use being varied, where I need to be able to know my anchor will hold.

PS, I have battery  powered led lights to use as anchor lights, for now.

Thanks!
Raleigh, NC WR 17
New Bern, NC Com-pac 23

Bart57266

• Vibes: 79
  • WindRider 17, Hobie 21, Hobie 16 sailor
Re: Anchors, storage, deployment, etc
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 12:18:22 PM »
You'll need a bridle if anchoring from the bow end of the boat. Otherwise, it will wander all over the place.

I've never done it, but was told it will stay put if you anchor off the stern.

BruceWoods

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 12:59:33 PM »
Thanks, Bart,

I remember mention of the bridle. I wonder what that is. Maybe a line from aka to aka over the front of the boat and slide the anchor rode down it on a caribiner. I guess I could experiment with it. Also, re anchoring from stern, I could look at how that would hook up.
Raleigh, NC WR 17
New Bern, NC Com-pac 23

Bart57266

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 01:30:35 PM »
Here's how Jim Brown did it on his tri, Scrimshaw. It's much larger, of course, and he actually uses two lines instead of a bridle, but you'll get the idea.

https://youtu.be/tEFqy2JkAHU?t=1m33s

BruceWoods

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 04:15:09 PM »
hah, that's never happening.

I'll just experiment and see if I can figure out a bridle.
Raleigh, NC WR 17
New Bern, NC Com-pac 23

Bart57266

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 05:32:31 PM »
I wonder if bridle lines attached at the aka plates would accomplish the same thing?

Does anyone have experience with this?

Joe Murphy

• el juez
  • phpBB 4 yr. Contributing Member
  • Vibes: 137
  • Thanks to Don Maxwell
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 08:02:34 PM »
Hello Bruce, when doing extended cruises in my WR I use two friction straps to secure my Fortress (Danforth style) anchor to the aka. First I tie the bitter end of the rode to the aka, then I flake the rode on the tramp parallel to the aka with the anchor on top and then strap the anchor package securely to the aka. Inside the vaka I have friction straps secured by the nuts (washers) that hold the tramp bolt track to the hull. This allows me the ability to strap my tent and air mattress up under the edge of the hull and opens space I the vaka.
Joe M.
WR 17, s/v Strange Meadow Lark
WR16, s/v Little Lark
Gulfport Yacht Club
St Petersburg, FL

BruceWoods

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 10:25:18 PM »
Hello Bruce, when doing extended cruises in my WR I use two friction straps to secure my Fortress (Danforth style) anchor to the aka. First I tie the bitter end of the rode to the aka, then I flake the rode on the tramp parallel to the aka with the anchor on top and then strap the anchor package securely to the aka. Inside the vaka I have friction straps secured by the nuts (washers) that hold the tramp bolt track to the hull. This allows me the ability to strap my tent and air mattress up under the edge of the hull and opens space I the vaka.

Thanks, Joe, that sounds like a smart way to handle things easily. I also appreciated your reply to my PM with the links to the photos of your tent. Looks like you make room by raising the boom.

Bruce
Raleigh, NC WR 17
New Bern, NC Com-pac 23