Author Topic: Advice for using boat on beach  (Read 355 times)

plovett

• Vibes: 0
Advice for using boat on beach
« on: April 01, 2017, 01:21:17 PM »
I just purchased a WR17. I plan to keep it on the beach over the summer. I used to have a Hobie 16, and dragging it up the sandy beach would wear away at the bottoms of the hulls. Any suggestions for how to get the WR17 out of the water and back in while keeping it in good shape? If I don't have the purpose-built beach dolly is there some other solution? Thank you!
New owner of 2004 WR17

lt4supr

• Capt.Rob
  • Vibes: 15
Re: Advice for using boat on beach
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 07:59:05 PM »
Not that we can come up with.i have a two wheel dollies I haven't used but take at least two men to handle.or get 4 to 6 men and carry it.also factory sells a beach dolly.call Robert there
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 09:40:09 PM by lt4supr »
WR 17  #305.
Sr class chairman

gulfwind51

• Vibes: 6
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 05:34:22 AM »
Did you come up with a solution? I am getting ready to launch my new windrider17 on a beach here in Florida.

H.B.

• Contributing Member
  • Vibes: 13
  • "Tri-Sail-a~Top"
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 01:07:33 PM »
Years ago, Jon Britt, owner of Nor' Banks in Duck N.C. came up with a novel solution to "dragging" his WR's out of the Currituck Sound.
 (Although I don't believe he still operates WR's in his operation now)

Nevertheless...He had large diameter PVC pipe cut in half along its length, and embedded them in a newly poured concrete boat ramp. It made a slick surface for the keel to be easily dragged up the ramp (without damage) by two men. The boats were easily "balanced" by people pulling the boats from the front of both Akas.  A wet HDPE keel on PVC pipe made for a slick low friction surface.

I would imagine that one length of pipe, cut in half lengthwise (perhaps 10 to 12 ft. or longer) would make for a great "marine railway" so to speak. By alternating the two pipe halves one in front of the other as you pull the boat up the beach. Even better... the two halves could be lashed across the akas and travel with the boat on an extended trip or an expedition to places "Far and Wide", ready to be deployed on any beach, be it sand, stone, shells, or dirt! 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 03:23:57 PM by H.B. »
Blow, Blow, Blow the boat........

triharder

• Triharder
  • Vibes: 2
  • It's not a race, I just want to get there first!
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 08:04:11 AM »
http://www.windriderforum.com/smf/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=1264

Have used these to launch off the beach regularly, home made, they work well on all surfaces except deep mud, a short line to the bow is adjusted to balance the boat fore & aft, whilst I balance the boat side to side whilst pushing from astern & next to the aft cockpit. They also fit nicely on the trailer whilst towing, (see other pics on my gallery).
Happy sailing
Triharder
Nobody told me it would be like this!