Author Topic: Crash damage - many parts needed in Florida  (Read 411 times)

Alanbmoore

• Vibes: 0
Crash damage - many parts needed in Florida
« on: January 02, 2017, 04:31:31 PM »
My Rave pitchpoled and partially sank last week. Quite a bit of damage between the crash and recovery effort. Looking for a source of parts, including the following:
Starboard ama
Masthead
Screecher pole
Steering arm (that steer cable attaches to on rudder)
Rudder foil cable
Mast tang for reacher

Any ideas?

jkd1000

Re: Crash damage - many parts needed in Florida
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 11:55:10 PM »
Sorry to hear that Alan. What happened? How fast were you going? Why so much damage?
Hopefully you weren't injured.....?
I just want to go 40knts. That's all.

Modified Windrider Rave
A-Class cat

Alanbmoore

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 04:26:22 PM »
No injuries, fortunately. But some real chaos getting the boat back to shore; that's likely when much of the damage occurred.

I was on shore at the time, an experienced multihull sailor was out on it. I happened to be watching through binoculars. He was foil-borne and crashed down, which seems to be fairly common. Didn't seem like a big deal. But then it slowly rolled to the right, then stern down. Once the cockpits filled, it rotated bows up. We tried to pull the bows down by another boat, to no avail. At some point, I noticed that the starboard ama was buckled and the inspection port was open. The ama eventually sank completely. We had to float it up with inner tubes to get it to shore. No idea if the ama buckled during the crash, or while we were pulling on it later. Can't figure out how that happened?

Will post photos when I figure out how!

Alanbmoore

« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 04:50:39 PM by Alanbmoore »

jkd1000

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 08:08:12 PM »
Yeah - I see what you mean! Mine has an airbag inside, so supposedly it wouldn't sink.
I remember seeing somewhere that if you sealed it up and put it in the hot sun, the resultant pressure might pop it out again - you'd need to check there were no leaks. Or perhaps use a tyre pump at the service station. What have you got to lose? There aren't any of the alu struts that the main hull has, so at least you don't have to worry about them being bent.
I just want to go 40knts. That's all.

Modified Windrider Rave
A-Class cat

GreatKetch33

• Vibes: 7
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 03:12:06 PM »
Very sorry to hear of the accident and damage to your Rave. It is good news when someone has survived without injury. These are extreme machines.

Regarding replacement of parts, I think it time and research with fabrication may be in order:

Starboard ama
Masthead
Screecher pole <-- try McMaster-Carr for stock Alum tubes online.
Steering arm (that steer cable attaches to on rudder) <-- may need to fabricate this one. Stock is available online.
Rudder foil cable <-- rudder cable may be able to be made,, check the forums in here
Mast tang for reacher <-- another part that may need fabrication

Perhaps you can start with I have to have items, as the screecher is not an item that can prevent you from foiling.

It would be interesting to know about the conditions the Rave was foiling. I almost performed a red october maneuver as I was bearing off a broad reach; the wind caught the jib and push the bow down hard. If I had the screecher flying in those conditions I am sure I would have taken on a ton of water in the main hull.

Keep us updated to your progress. Very sorry to hear of the damage.

Speedy

• Vibes: 10
  • Went raving mad in '03!
    • http://www.endlessenergy.com
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 12:15:43 PM »
The ama could be fixed with the proper application of heat.  So, I've been lead to believe by past posts - think really hot sun and some internal (light) air pressure.

The parts can be easily fabricated.
Look at the sticky post for the rudder cable, readily available.

Good luck,

-speed

« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 10:21:57 PM by Speedy »