Author Topic: The Elbow Run 2016 - continuing the Lake Diefenbaker WindRider Experience  (Read 328 times)

villagerainbows

• Vibes: 25
  • "Sailing is good for the soul"
    • Village Rainbows
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml5PuhhzlkA

July 2016 - eight WindRider 17's and 9 sailors spent eight days and seven nights sailing and camping on Lake Diefenbaker. This was the fourth year for the event with the largest number of participants to date. It was a great time with many new friendships made and lots of memories created.

Lake Diefenbaker is located in Saskatchewan, on the Canadian prairies. It was formed in the 1960's after two dams were constructed on the South Saskatchewan River, creating a lake that is 145 miles from one end to the other.

A mailing list for next year has been started. Contact me if you would like your name added.
Rod McLaren
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Canada

Bart57266

• Vibes: 79
  • WindRider 17, Hobie 21, Hobie 16 sailor
Re: The Elbow Run 2016 - continuing the Lake Diefenbaker WindRider Experience
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 09:33:39 PM »
Excellent video, as usual, Rod! It makes me want to go. Too bad it would be a 2500 mile drive - each way.

Bart

villagerainbows

• Village Rainbows
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 07:33:32 AM »
Thanks, Bart. We'd love to have you join us but I understand about the 2500 miles. It is the same 2500 miles that keeps me from taking part in the Buzzelli weekend and other great events that happen in Florida. :)
Rod McLaren
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Canada

FrankP

• Vibes: 4
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 04:05:09 PM »
Nice video Rod. It looks like you guys had fun and you have some nice pictures on the video. I wish Wisconsin was closer to Diefenbakerlake.
There is nothing more exhilarating and relaxing than sailing.

2015 Windrider 17

villagerainbows

• Village Rainbows
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 05:20:00 PM »
Thanks, Frank. Never mind the distance - bring your wife and the boat. It is almost a straight line from Madison to Elbow - 17 hours on I-94 - that is two 8 1/2 hour days drive which is not so bad. We already have two of your fellow countrymen on the list for next year - let's make it three! Your red reacher would look awesome in the videos - I have a drone camera lined up for next year's departure from the launch site.
Rod McLaren
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Canada

Northern29

• Vibes: 0
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 07:01:17 PM »
Nice video!

Keep me in the loop  never say never!

Ed

villagerainbows

• Village Rainbows
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 08:52:17 PM »
Thanks, Ed. I will be happy to keep  you in the loop. Send me a personal message with your e-mail address. My address is nkosuohene@gmail.com
Cheers,
Rod
Rod McLaren
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Canada

FrankP

• Vibes: 4
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 02:57:26 PM »
What is the projected date for next year? How close to Calgary is the lake? I have purchased equipment for my business from a company near Calgary. If the need arose for more and the timing was right I could toy with the idea but I doubt my wife would want to be the only gal in the group of grubby old guys. Are you thinking of opening the trip up to the fairer sex? The drone sounds cool. I once saw a drone for sale that the person had a wrist mounted controller and the drone follows the wearer. It is waterproof and it floats. When I saw it it last winter it was $495 US. So not cheap and I don't know if it is even available now. It would make sailing and controlling it easier.

I like the parts of the video of the boats on the water the most. I watched your video the other day and it was one of those days when most everything was going on and sometimes wrong and the sailing segments were relaxing to me.

What state is your water in up in Canada? My lake is still soft and wet but soon after the last few days it will be hard. Can't wait until early May.

We did get out 22 times this past year because my wife's shoulder has healed up well after her dislocation in July of 2015. It is easier too because the boat is always set up and ready to go except taking off the sail bags and the cockpit covers.
There is nothing more exhilarating and relaxing than sailing.

2015 Windrider 17

villagerainbows

• Village Rainbows
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 07:01:32 PM »
Frank, Calgary is about 6 hours from our usual starting point. As for next year's date, it will be some time in July - the exact week will be decided at least two months ahead of time. We have never restricted the trip to men only - so far that  is just how it has happened. It won't surprise me if we have some women on the trip next year - I know of two who have considered the idea.

As for the condition of the lakes? well, the South Saskatchewan River runs through the centre of Saskatoon (where I live) and it is frozen over. I expect many of the smaller lakes will also have ice on them by now. The temperatures dropped dramatically this week just to make sure of that. Diefenbaker is likely icing over also although because of its size, there is may still be some open water. One thing for certain, it is armchair sailing weather for us here until spring.:)

Cheers,

Rod
Rod McLaren
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Canada

Sytap

• Vibes: 0
Hi Rod, I'm 20 miles west of Montreal, yea, more than 1800 miles from Elbow, but I'm very tempted on joining you folks this year. I've had a WR17 for 11 years but have sailed only as a day sailor, never went on an expedition. I'd appreciate any logistics you could provide on the prep and equipment required, such as:

Parking for a 25 ft RV (tow veh.) for the period of the expedition.

Type of food to last the trip without refrigeraton, etc.

Patrick

villagerainbows

• Village Rainbows
Hi, Patrick,
Great to hear from you. We would be very happy to have you join us. So far you  would most certainly win the title as the farthest traveller, beating out another WindRider owner who is about 1500 miles away and driving in from Missouri. I have seen your personal message and your email address so I will respond that way with answers to your questions. 
Rod McLaren
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Canada