Author Topic: Astus for Sale  (Read 1396 times)

Vincent

• Vibes: 0
Re: Astus for Sale
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2017, 09:01:22 AM »
Hi, Tom

This does not seem like a good experience. I bought one of the 2 Astus 20.2 from the first shipment just about 3 years ago now. That was a very different story.
1- From bubble wrap removal to sailing under gennaker took 90 minutes! I could not believe it. I had never rigged the boat before but everything was super easy, and the fit of every component was perfect.
2- My helm experience is 3 fingers on the tiller extension. Whether cruising in 5 knots of wind or blasting at 17 knots of speed, the boat is perfectly balanced. I pushed it in 25 gusting to 30 with no reef upwind and one reef on a reach. Maximum load on the structure.... Still 3 fingers on the tiller. Most people I take on-board in heavy conditions have they jaw drop when they take the stick.

I have never sailed the 16.5 so I can't predict its behavior. But if you have any question that you might think transfer from an Astus to another type of Astus, let me know. I've become a bit emotionally attached to my boat because I find it so capable; so I would love if others had the same experience.

Best regards.
Vincent.

FrankP

• Vibes: 4
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2018, 10:06:49 AM »
Sorry to hear about your problems with your 16.2 Tom. I was looking at the 20.5 and wonder if the quality issues you had were an anomaly or if it is pervasive across the entire line up of boats. Could any owners relate their stories. I looked at the blog articles and still have questions. I wish they were going to be at the Chicago Boat shoe next week Jan 10-14th 2018 but I guess there are not enough fresh water sailors up here in the upper Midwest.
There is nothing more exhilarating and relaxing than sailing.

2015 Windrider 17

tpdavis

• Vibes: 8
  • Navy Nuke-~8K sailing miles under the keel
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2018, 10:57:52 AM »
Frank, you live close to Phil Medley who is the manufacturer of the SeaRail (they are put together down in O'Fallon, IL which is near St. Louis).  You should contact him for the 19 if you want great performance for a lake sailor.  Granted, I am still learning my SeaRail since I've only had it since late September and winter sailing is just uncomfortable-I'm a candy ass now that I'm 67. 
R/Thom
SeaRail 19
Former F24 MK II Single Hand Racer
Former Triak Sailing Kayak
Former Hobie Getaway
Former Weta Crew
Former Windrider 17 Crew