Author Topic: Bent forward Aka Arms under heavy weather conditions  (Read 1018 times)

Dorsalis

• Vibes: 2
Bent forward Aka Arms under heavy weather conditions
« on: November 28, 2015, 01:31:45 PM »
My brother and I participated in the Everglades Challenge 2015.  Although the challenge was called off after the first day, we continued our voyage South towards the finish and finally put out at Flamingo in Everglades National park.  While rounding Cape Sable, we encountered some very heavy winds and rough weather conditions.  During derigging of the boat in Flamingo, it became apparent that our forward aka arms had a slight bend to them, both port and starboard.  We were unable to slide them back in for transport and had to secure them over the mast.  Because the boat was still new, Robert Sandberg graciously replaced the forward Aka Arms and we have since used the boat locally with no real problems. 

Yesterday, my son and I were sailing back to Crandon Park Marina from Soldier Key in Biscayne Bay.  Winds were out of the Northeast.  We encountered a furious squall en route.  Winds were probably gusting to well over 35 knots and we had a difficult time of it.  We reefed our mainsail of course and attempted to douse the jib.  Had to use the bilge pump a lot to keep the boat stable.  I do not think a lesser boat than the WindRide 17 would have made it through without capsizing.  When we arrived back at the Marina (with much thanksgiving), while derigging the boat, we discovered that the forward port side Aka Arm would not slide back in, just as had been the case after encountering heavy weather in the EC 2015.  It may be necessary to replace it again, this time, probably out of warranty.

This is the second time we have had a problem with the forward aka arm(s) bending under heavy weather conditions.  Never had any problems with the stern aka arms.  I observed under both circumstances, yesterday and during the EC, that the forward Aka arms are placed under enormous pressure in heavy weather conditions, much moreso than the stern arms.  These forward aka arms  are probably key to keeping the boat upright during heavy weather.  Perhaps some design thought should be put in to reinforcing the forward Aka Arms against the risk of heavy weather?

cscott

• Vibes: 18
  • scott sails opb
    • scott's linkedin.com site
Re: Bent forward Aka Arms under heavy weather conditions
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 06:48:24 PM »
a few thoughts to consider. newer boat with wider beam and slight changes to the welding pattern ( from original design ). aft aka has load post to the keel, forward aka does not ( although I was told by the designer that original wr17 design was to have a forward aka load post, nixed by marketing team for unobstructed forward hull space.) the boat was designed to flex, especially for rough weather, think pacific coast big surf and such. however, if the akas were lengthen, same gauge aluminum tube, they may not have the strength modulus to withstand the higher bending moment of longer length. just my $0.02 worth. -scott
Throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain

Florida Mike

• Vibes: 10
  • WR17 "Amen"
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 07:59:36 PM »
Where is the bend at?  Is it the same on both port and starboard?  Is it the same as where they bent on the EC?  Pictures would be great.
I have seen the future.........and it works! :)

Dorsalis

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 10:14:36 PM »
OK, Florida Mike,  don't mean to be digitally challenged here, but HOW do I attach a photo "Attachments and other options" does not seem to work. I have some photos of the akas that were bent during the EC.  Have not taken any of the present bend.  Will send along what I have, but must figure out how to embed the photos.  When I attempt, all I get is:

/Users/charlescsoutherland/Desktop/Bent Aka Arms/Bent Aka Arm Strbrd Side.jpg

Any suggestions?

Florida Mike

• Vibes: 10
  • WR17 "Amen"
I have seen the future.........and it works! :)

Dorsalis

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 08:47:11 PM »
OK, took a bit of doing but I think I FINALLY figured out how to make the downloads from my MAC desktop.  I am attaching two images of the starboard side bent Aka arm.  The main problem is that the arm will no longer slide in for transporting. 

villagerainbows

• Vibes: 26
  • "Sailing is good for the soul"
    • Village Rainbows
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 01:04:57 PM »
Dorsalis, regarding the image insertion, you may be experiencing the same problem I had until Bart was able to talk me through it enough times to get it to work. I also am on a Mac and when I click on the insert icon, it pops up like it should and it looks like it should be straight forward.
However, notice that there are two square brackets back to back in the middle. When you click on them to add the image location, does one of the brackets get deleted? That is what was happening to me - the solution is to either add the bracket back to the post, or to add enough spaces BETWEEN those two brackets that when you add the image link in the middle of those spaces, it doesn't delete that bracket.
Hopefully that will solve the issue of image insertion although it doesn't resolve the bent akas :)
Rod McLaren
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Canada

stephenhewitt

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 11:26:00 AM »
The reason the forward beam bends is because the boat is under to much pressure. The beam fails when the leeward amas is submerged by sailing hard upwind and having excessive heel.
Ease the main, reef the main, reduce the sail area, you will go just as fast but the boat will sail flatter and bending beams will stop.