Author Topic: I would like to know what/how this happened  (Read 2180 times)

tpdavis

• Vibes: 8
  • Navy Nuke-~8K sailing miles under the keel
Re: I would like to know what/how this happened
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2017, 10:22:39 PM »
Geez, you want to put a big sign on top of the boat that says, "Look at me, I might flip over"-this is on a boat that most look at as already having training wheels?  C'mon, grow a pair.
R/Thom
SeaRail 19
Former F24 MK II Single Hand Racer
Former Triak Sailing Kayak
Former Hobie Getaway
Former Weta Crew
Former Windrider 17 Crew

SouthernWin

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2017, 10:36:04 PM »
No not really.  Thinking about it tho. Storms here pretty much daily...like the 6 killed in 70 mph wind couple years ago here.
..like said, should be able to reright.
Most people wouldn't need it.  If you reef the main shouldn't need it.

Here's the answer how the boat was flipped.

To answer your Question. we were sailing and a gust of wind flipped us. We could not right the boat until 4 days later when the wind and water had calmed down. Yes, it was upside down for four days in the water. 

« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 10:43:22 PM by SouthernWin »

tpdavis

• Navy Nuke-~8K sailing miles under the keel
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2017, 11:16:10 PM »
If he hadn't put a vang on the boat, it could have handled the gusts easier-at least giving him enough time to release the mainsheet.  A common mistake in gusty conditions is cleating everything tight...best to hand hold the mainsheet or at least have it in hand to pop free.
R/Thom
SeaRail 19
Former F24 MK II Single Hand Racer
Former Triak Sailing Kayak
Former Hobie Getaway
Former Weta Crew
Former Windrider 17 Crew

SouthernWin

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2017, 09:32:21 AM »
He might have of had one of the girls at the helm,  didn't understand the meaning of ..release the main if tipping too much.   Must of been a hell of a gust.

I may opt for a less visible mast float ..saw one that is foam,  attaches to top 3 ' of mast. paint to match.
Maybe I'll make one, is just foam.  Saw a video that explained the righting moment is better than a catamaran...am thinking if have a float,  I'll be able to reright without assistance,  instead of turtle, the amas slowly fill up, goodbye boat.

This video here,  I think shows the limits of the boat.   He goes out , full sail, jib.  Passenger as a counter weight.
Comes back with jib furled, Main reefed...counterweight still having to work.  I'm not slighting the boat..most any would furl and reef in that.  Most would'nt go out.   I want a mast float because that is the wind condition I'm prepping for because I'm probably going to get caught in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WwAW2jrbfA

SouthernWin

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2017, 09:45:34 AM »
Actually in the video,  it's not that rough out.   2' chop...on top of smooth swells.
It s the chop...rated as very steep, that I don't like.   The wind, I've found is very controllable if reefed and furled.  I've been in about 25 sustained,  30k gust..seemed fine...but was in a lee...calm water.