Author Topic: My opinion  (Read 4294 times)

Kim

• Administrator
  • Vibes: 49
My opinion
« on: November 02, 2011, 10:15:41 AM »
This new category is to help those who are cautious about venturing on the water in a sailboat.  Lots are women.  And there are a lot of men too like this.  I may get burned alive for the title of this category. It is new and could be changed.  Lets try to portray how easy it is to get out on the water in a WindRider.  But lets also keep in mind basic safety.

Kim

Kim

• Administrator
  • Vibes: 49
Re: My opinion
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 11:55:52 AM »
How about Saling for the New?

AlexTriedSailing

• Vibes: 1
  • I am too blessed to be stressed
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 12:58:17 PM »
Maybe Tender Sailors which is a way different crowd than the hardened sailors. I do not know but I sure know that when Mark and I first started out in a boat together is was a mono hull and I just did not like it. I really tried because he so loves being on the water and sailing. Discovering WindRiders has so changed our experience of being together on the water. I am even willing to sail our WR17 a bit and have to admit I really truly have fun in the WR16 and the WRTango. I hope to encourage other tender sailors to find out how safe and easy these wonderful boats are to sail. 

Gaup

• Vibes: 4
  • Northern SWEDEN Lat 64.26 N Long 16.41 E
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 08:51:11 PM »
Hi i am (almost) a virgin in sailing learned to like water in a sea kajak and have done a little sailing in a canoe mostly for the lakes here are so shallow.. was thinking to build a trimaran and come a cross the windrider 16 and it suited my needs on all points but one.. it was a little small.. butt found the perfect one in the seventeen... so i sold my snowmobile to my friends horror...  and bout me one...
have not sailed it more than some initial testing and must say its a blast.. and really easy... have shocked  the neighbours here.. is possibly the first time this lake is trafficked by a sailing vessel ...
butt now we are waiting for the first snow and the water has gotten hard ... so now i am planing for the summer to come..   

PaulM

• Vibes: 3
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 01:16:05 AM »
You cant beat the 17 for making the crew feel secure.
I just stopped sailing cats last year, and during my last season my new (non-boating) wife came down to watch and was invited out on the rescue boat. A storm blew out of nowhere and we had about an hour of 35 knots, which made for a very busy rescue boat. The boat driver frightened her so badly that I cant get her onto any motor boat smaller than about 50 foot.

I bought the WR17 last year and now she comes out with me anytime, last time 25 knots with jib furled and main reefed she just sat snug as a bug behind her windshield laughing about the spray.

I do rescue boat duties about once a month at local yacht club in a decent sized tinnie with centre console and seat cushions and she won't come out with me, stays home gardening.

Love that WR17.

LuLu

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 03:07:11 PM »
My husband and I bought a used Windrider 16 to sail in San Diego, but we haven't taken her out yet.  We live full-time in Tucson and spend every other weekend in SD.  We both have sailed monohulls - several years ago - but haven't gotten back into it again.  We found this little boat, bought her, and we're replacing a variety of things. 

The only thing I'm really wondering about is how to rig her - although I must say it looks pretty darned easy.  Any advice from all of you veterans out there? 

three_hull_rules

• Vibes: 4
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 03:58:16 PM »
Hi Lulu,
Check out the Windrider 16 Manual on the Windrider 16 page of this froum. It should tell you all you need to know.
Welcome aboard.

AlexTriedSailing

• I am too blessed to be stressed
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 10:10:48 AM »
Lulu you guys will have a lot of fun on that WR16!!